Bojan Tomic received his PhD degree in informatics and software engineering from the Department of Information Systems and Technologies, FON - School of Business Administration, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia in 2012. He received his B.S. degree in informatics and software engineering from the Department of Information Systems and Technologies, FON - School of Business Administration in 2005. He also recieved the award for the "Best Student Research Work in Technical Sciences" for 2005, granted by the University of Belgrade for his paper titled "JavaDON: An Open-source Expert System Shell". He is a member of the GOOD OLD AI Research Network.
Assistant professor at the Department of Software Engineering, FON - School of Business Administration, University of Belgrade. Working on the following modules:
- May 2007. - May 2012. PhD studies in Software engineering and informatics, FON - School of Business Administration, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia; supervised by Prof. dr Vladan Devedzic.
- November 2005. - May 2007. Attended four semesters of M.S. studies in Software engineering and informatics at FON - School of Business Administration, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia. Transferred to PhD studies programme in May 2007.
- October 1999. - February 2005. B.S. in Software engineering and informatics, FON - School of Business Administration, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia; supervised by Prof. dr Vladan Devedzic.
- 2013. Best PhD Thesis Award, Belgrade Chamber of Commerce, Belgrade, Serbia.
- 2006. Best Student Research Work in Technical Sciences for 2005, University of Belgrade
- Expert systems
- Application of expert systems in the business domain
- Reasoning and inferencing
- Rule-based systems
- Business rules
- Recommender systems
- Rule testing and validation
- Software engineering
- Software testing
Tomic, B., Jovanovic, J., Milikic, N., Sevarac, Z., Djuric, D. "Principles of programming: workbook with practical programming examples and problems in Java" (in Serbian), Faculty of organizational sciences, Belgrade, 2013., ISBN 978-86-7680-284-5.
Tomic, B. "Principles of programming: workbook with practical programming examples and problems in Java" (in Serbian), Faculty of organizational sciences, Belgrade, 2009., ISBN 978-86-7680-191-6.
- Tomic, B. "Java code testing with JUnit: Manual with practical examples and procedures for NetBeans and Eclipse IDEs" (in Serbian), Zlatni presek, Belgrade, 2007., ISBN 978-86-86887-01-6.
- Book chapters:
- Tomic, B. "Automated Interpretation of Key Performance Indicators by using Rules", In Giurca, A., Gasevic, D., Taveter, K. (Editors) "Handbook of Research on Emerging Rule-Based Languages and Technologies: Open Solutions and Approaches", IGI Publishing, Hershey, Pennsylvania, 2009., ISBN 1-60566-402-2.
- Tomic, B., Devedzic, V., Jovanovic, J., "Expert systems revisited: A Practical approach", In Lipshitz, A. (Ed.) "Progress in Expert Systems Research", Nova Science Publishers Inc., Hauppauge NY, 2007., ISBN 1-60021-690-0.
- Journal papers:
- Tomic, B., Milic, T., "Automated interpretation of key performance indicator values and its application in education", Knowledge-based Systems, Elsevier, Vol. 37, January 2013, pp. 250-260. DOI 10.1016/j.knosys.2012.08.006
- Tomic, B., Horvat, B., Jovanovic, N., "An Explanation Facility for Rule-Based Systems", International Journal on Artifical Intelligence Tools, World Scientific Publishing Co., ISSN 02182130, Vol. 21, No. 4, August 2012., DOI 10.1142/S0218213012500133
- Tomic, B., Vlajic, S., "Functional Testing for Students: a Practical Approach", Inroads - ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 58-62, 2008., ISSN 0097-8418, DOI 10.1145/1473195.1473221
- Vlajic, S., Tomic, B., "Testing software classes: A practical approach" (in Serbian), Teaching mathematics (Nastava matematike), Vol. 52, No. 2-3, pp. 39-47, 2007., ISSN 0351-4463.
- Tomic, B., Jovanovic, J., Devedzic, V., "JavaDON: An Open-source Expert System Shell", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 595-606, 2006., ISSN 0957-4174, DOI 10.1016/j.eswa.2005.09.085
- Conference papers:
- Devedzic, V., Jovanovic, J., Tomic, B., Sevarac, Z., Milikic, N., Dimitrijevic, S., Djuric, D. "Grading Soft Skills with Open Badges", 2nd International Workshop on Open Badges in Education (OBIE 2015): From Learning Evidence to Learning Analytics in conjunction with the 5th International Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (LAK'15), Poughkeepsie, New York, USA, March 16-20, 2015.
- Tomic, B., Devedzic, M. "Knowledge base for automated interpretation of demographic indicators" (in Serbian), Proceedings of the XXI YU INFO conference, 08.03.-11.03.2015., Kopaonik, Serbia.
- Tomic, B., Milic, T., "Konsultant: A knowledge base for automated interpretation of profit values", Proceedings of ICEIS 2010 - The 12th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, 8.6.-12.6.2010., Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, ISBN 978-989-8425-05-8.
- Tomic, B., Horvat, B., Jovanovic, N. "JEFF: Java Explanation Facility Framework" (in Serbian), Proceedings of the XVI YU INFO conference, 03.03.-06.03.2010., Kopaonik, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-85525-05-6.
2014.-2016. Grading Soft Skills (GRASS) is a 3-year research project financially supported by EU (project reference number: 543029-LLP-1-2013-1-RS-KA3-KA3MP), focusing on representing soft skills of learners of various ages and at different levels of education in a quantitative, measurable way, so that these skills can become the subject of formal validation and recognition. The project is being developed with the support of the Lifelong Learning Programme (LLP) of the EU.
2011.-2014. Researching Demographic Phenomena for the Purpose of Public Policies in Serbia - A 4-year project, funded by the Government of the Republic of Serbia - Ministry of Science and Technical Development (project number III 47006).
2011.-2014. INTELIS - A 4-year project, funded by the Government of the Republic of Serbia - Ministry of Science and Technical Development (project number III 47003). The aim of this project is to develop infrastructure for technology enhanced learning (TEL).
2012.-2015. INCOMING - Interdisciplinary Curricula in Computing to Meet Labor Market Needs A 3-year international project funded by the TEMPUS IV programme of the European Union (proj. No. 530155-TEMPUS-1-2012-1-EE-TEMPUS-JPCR). It is a Joint Project / Curricular Reform (JPCR) project with the objective to initiate capacity building for interdisciplinary studies at universities in Serbia, to be offered both in English and in Serbian, at all three levels of study (BSc, MSc, PhD), and in at least one of the following three modes of study: face-to-face mode, distance learning, and blended mode.
- 2010.-2013. DL@WEB - Enhancing the Quality of Distance Learning at Western Balkan Higher Education Institutions - A 3-year international project, funded by TEMPUS agency (project SM 511126-2010), with the objective to improve the quality and relevance of distance learning (DL) at Western Balkan higher education institutions. This implies easier inclusion of partner country institutions into European Higher Education Area through improvement, development and implementation of accreditation standards, guidelines and procedures for quality assurance (QA) of DL study programs at national system levels in Western Balkan countries.
- 2010.-2012. OP4L - Online Presence for Learning - A 2-year international project, funded by the European Commission within its SEE-ERA.NET PLUS program (project ERA 115/01), with the objective to provide support for advanced, context-aware Learning Process Management (LPM) within Personal Learning Environments (PLEs) as the increasingly important paradigm in online education. The project relies on using Social Semantic Web technologies to generate recommendations for learners, based on their current learning contexts and the state of online presence of members of their social graphs (i.e., network of online connections).
- 2009.-present JEFF (Java Explanation Facility Framework) - an open-source, free explanation facility framework written in Java.
- 2008.-2010. SOULWeb - A 2-year project, funded by the Government of the Republic of Serbia - Ministry of Science and Technical Development (project number 13002). The aim of this project is to develop a number of small-scale software tools for Web-enabled e-learning.
- 2007.-2009. M.Sc. CURRICULUM IN E-LEARNING - A 2-year international project, funded by TEMPUS agency (project JEP-41016-2006), with the objectives to enable high-quality and specialized education in the field of e-learning and to establish the new M.Sc. studies in e-learning according to the principles of the Bologna declaration.
2006.-2007. WELCON - EUROPEAN WELDING CONSULTANT TOOL - A project financed by the EUREKA network for market-oriented, industrial R&D, aiming at developing a virtual environment that shall be used as a hub for consulting services and education in the domain of welding technologies.
- 2004.-2005. JavaDON - Java-based expert system shell. Currently, it is used as a teaching aid in the Intelligent Systems module at FON.